The Church of the Madonna dello Schiavo
Another monument that is very dear to the devotion of the people of Carloforte is the church of the Madonna dello Schiavo (Our Lady of the Slave), located in the very central via XX Settembre. It is a small sanctuary whose name owes itself to the wooden statue – a figurehead lost from a ship – placed as an ornament of the high altar, which was found by one of the inhabitants of Carloforte during slavery in Tunisia.
The construction of the building was completed in neoclassical style in 1815 by the few hundred inhabitants who returned to the island after years of exile. The little church is affectionately known as Gêxétta du Previn (little church of the priest) in honour of Don Nicolò Segni, the young priest who followed and comforted the people of Carloforte during slavery. Since September 1988, the 250th anniversary of the founding of Carloforte, it houses the remains of an unknown slave transferred from Tunis.
It is celebrated on 15th November with an intimate procession much revered by the entire population.
The church of San Pietro Apostolo
Started in April 1999, the construction of the church of San Pietro Apostolo, patron saint of the island and of Carloforte, was completed a few years later: its inauguration took place in 2004.
The building, bright and spacious, with a bell tower reminiscent of the sloping roofs of the typical Barracche (cottages), is located in a side street of Via Corvetto, a stone’s throw from the Novelli Innocenti church. Inside, the building houses the statue of the saint after whom it is named, which is carried in the sea procession celebrated each year on Saint Peter day (29th June), followed by the boats of local fishermen and inhabitants of the island.