Via della Cisterna del Re, 20/24, 09014 Carloforte SU
Tel: 0781 855880
1,2, 6 to 31 August: 10.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday 12 to Sunday 21 August: Special evening opening from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
The museum normally opens from the Easter holidays and closes at the end of September.
Full price: euro 5,00 – adults
Reduced price ticket: euro 2,50 – children from 12 to 18 years old, groups over 10 people, adults over 65 years old
Free: children up to 11 years old and disabled people
Information on timetables and tickets may be subject to change, so please contact the museum in advance.
Reservations for tours and guided tours
During museum opening hours: +39 0781 8589260 – +39 0781 8589200
By email: email@example.com
The Casa del Duca (Duke’s House) museum is the perfect place to learn about the history of the community on the island of San Pietro. It is located in the upper part of the village, in the renovated ex-fort named after Carlo Emanuele III, constructed in 1738 together with the first buildings of the nascent town of Carloforte.
Among the most significant exhibits are a model of a tuna fishery and the 19th-century tuna processing and storage plant. There are also reproductions of historical documents, such as the oath of allegiance taken by the community of Tabarka to the King of Savoy in the church of Portoscuso on 24 May 1738; the plan of the first urban centre of Carloforte drawn by the engineer Augusto Della Vallea; and plans for the first fortification and public utility works. Also interesting are the historical documents related to the boatmen – or galanzieri – and the instruments used in mining and navigation.
An additional room houses a collection of Mediterranean shells, while a small garden contains typical plants of the local flora with their names in Tabarchino.