The new Multimedia Museum is a cultural center dedicated to study of the history of the Island of San Pietro.
Created with the collaboration of the Galata "Mu.Ma", Museo del Mare e delle Migrazioni of Genoa (Galata Maritime Museum), it is a high-tech museum that uses touch screens and 3D simulations to offer the public an overview of the history of the island of San Pietro, from its geological birth to the founding of the first settlements in 1738.
Developed on three floors of the wonderful Torre di San Vittorio, an eighteenth-century structure brought back to life after the renovation. It was inaugurated on April 23, 2016, in the presence of Roberto Giacobbo, host of the television program “Voyager”, and it was open to the public during the first edition of "Carloforte Isola del Gusto" held on the 23rd, 24th and 25th of April 2016.
On each floor, the museum narrates a different historical stage of Carloforte: on the ground floor visitors will see a representation of the geological events that led to the formation of the island. On the second floor the high-tech panels will show the historical events from the Nuragic Era to the Roman Era, on the third floor visitors will watch the representation of the first settlements until the arrival of the Tabarkini Settlers in 1738. The tour lasts about 45 minutes. On the top floor of the tower, visitors can admire the surrounding landscape and appreciate the beauty of the island from the panoramic look-out.
The Tower of San Vittorio was built in 1768 to honor King Vittorio Amedeo III. Built by the engineer Saverio Belgrano of Famolasco, this structure was the defensive outpost south of the town. It was expropriated by the Italian Ministry of Education in 1898 and converted to an Astronomical Station by the Commission of international Geodesic which demanded an Astronomical Station placed on a particular geographical parallel, located at 39 ° 08 'latitude median. It became one of the five international stations for the study of the precession of the equinoxes. Around 1970, this station was closed. Currently the Tower of di San Vittorio houses the new Museum Multimedia.
The Museum of the Torre di San Vittorio is located in Via dei Battellieri past the Saline, in the area of Spalmadureddu , less than 1 km from the city center.
The Carloforte Multimedia Museum is open every weekend from 9 to 13 - from 16 to 19.
Each guided tour lasts 45 minutes, so visitors should check for availability at least 30 minutes in advance. (Each tour will host up to 15 people).
During the week, the museum is open only by reservation, made by calling the following number: +39 3331816535.
We invite school groups to contact the numbers listed to organize group visits to the Museum.
€ 5 adults, € 2.50 from 12 to 18 years, free under 12 years old. Discounts for groups.
Link to Article - MULTIMEDIA MUSEUM
Situated between La Punta and Tacche Bianche, immersed in tuff rocks, Cala Lunga beach looks like a cliff that descends in the sea.
From May to early July, it's possible to observe the nets offshore being used to catch the tuna.
Its deep waters are particularly suitable for diving enthusiasts.
It lies along the coastal road 101 which leads from the harbor of Carloforte to the northern end of the island. The entrance of a dirt road will signal the entrance to the beach.
Unsuitable for children, the elderly Continua...
The largest number of tuna fished in a single fishing session (the traditional name is “mattanza”) was 2047. It took place in May 31, 1909, and is still referred to as "du Lallan", the nickname of Angelo Pomata who was the Rais of Isola Piana, who commanded and directed the record breaking Mattanza.
Although it may seem incredible, due to the potential danger, major accidents have never occurred during the numerous mattanze, mainly due to dexterity of the fishermen. The only known accident with fatal consequences occurred in 1914.& Continua...
There is an arch in the middle of Solferino Street facing Piazza Repubblica, known to all the islanders as the “archióttu”.
When and why this name was given, no one knows for sure. But many people say that this arch was constructed sometime near the end of the eighteenth century and that it was the door to the garden of the Rapallo family, at that time one of the wealthiest families of Carloforte.
This place is perhaps one of the most photographed corners of Carloforte. It has been the subject of many paintings and sketches, and visitors who visit the town in summer often stop to a Continua...